MAJOR LANE'S EXAMPLE.

The idea proposed by Major Lane of the first battalion is one worthy of consideration for the other battalion commanders. Major Lane suggests to change at the end of a month captains, top and supply sergeants, as well as all other non-coms. There is no doubt that in this new method of organizing the R. O. T. C. Major Lane has the whole-hearted support of the members of our regiment.

The great objection to shifting the higher officers of the Corps has been that company records and the other data which are so essential a part of company organization must also change hands. This would be an insurmountable difficulty if the R. O. T. C. were on a basis similar to that of last summer; that is to say, if we were under intensive training. As it is, with but an hour's drill two or three times per week, the clerical work could easily be shifted without loss of organization.

The advantages in such a change would be great. Many men have spent two and even three summers under military discipline; many who have only been in last summer's corps could easily command a company. The belief that there are only twelve men in college fit to command a large unit or to act as supply and top sergeants is unsound and untenable. The men now training here should be given every possible opportunity to exercise leadership. If some are fit for captaincies and the rank of the higher sergeant positions, there is no valid reason for preventing them.

Major Lane has taken a step in the right direction; we suggest that the other majors consider his proposal seriously.