TIES WITH JAPAN.

The announcement of Secretary Lansing that the United States had concluded a treaty with Japan on the subject of China will be welcomed by all as tending to remove the distrust and lack of confidence between the two nations. The policy of the Open Door, inaugurated by Secretary Hay at the time of the Boxer Rebellion has now been brought to a successful conclusion, for Japan has at last declared that she will in no way impair the sovereignty of China, nor limit the right of free and open trade on the part of all nations. In return for this, the United States agrees to recognize that Japan has special interests in China, particularly in those parts adjacent to her territory.

Never since the stormy days of the California dispute have official relations with Japan been more friendly, and the courtesy and tact of Baron Ishii have done much to bring this about. But to reap the full fruits of this change of official sentiment it is necessary to supplement it by an earnest attempt to change public sentiment. Moderation and politeness in our press are deeply appreciated by such a sensitive people as the Japanese. And as by public expression, international friendships are made and unmade, it gives all of us a chance by our words as well as our deeds to help the government in its present constructive policy toward Japan.