BRITISH PROGRESS.

Pessimism because of Italian losses or a Russian upheaval need not be too great. Activity in France is just as important. The defense along the Taglia-mento has called away attention from the present British advance beyond Ypres. This receives no very prominent place in the news; yet it may be of enormous consequence. In the first place, here is further proof that the English have conclusively solved the problem of how to win in trench warfare. The lack of emphasis in the papers only shows that such a drive is more and more a matter of course. Furthermore, unlike other offensives, this is prominent for the ground gained. Communications with Zeebrugee and Ostend are seriously threatened. The fact that these submarine bases are endangered means that the British are gaining something more than mere proof of their superiority. All terrain captured heretofore has had comparatively local importance, but this new steady drive may surprise the most pessimistic of us as well as the Germans. Further progress on the same line is a check on the submarine campaign and a step toward victory.