JERUSALEM AND JEWS

We are taken to task by a writer who does not bother to draw on his gloves. He has waded right in and dealt his blow with a bare fist. One thing is certain--he has his opinions and these are to be regarded. But we hardly think our enthusiastic comment of yesterday morning on the British capture of Jerusalem calls for such a Philippic. Had we been presenting a detailed study of the taking of Jerusalem and its effect upon the world, we should have been guilty of a grave omission in making no mention of the Jewish people. In our opinion the two words, Jew and Jerusalem, are closely associated. We are well aware of the promise of the British Empire. But ahead of both these comes the fact that Jerusalem has been wrested from Turkish rule and German domination. This was the fact that was uppermost in our minds when the news came that Jerusalem had fallen. At present we are thinking more of how to defeat Germany than anything else. The capture of this city was a spark of encouragement that we were making progress in our aim. We did not intend to slight so great a race as the Jewish people, one which is doing so much in this struggle, but our pleasure over the Allies securing a firmer foothold in Palestine went far beyond racial bonds. Success is our first consideration in all war questions. We might also add, that if any Freshman could have penned our comment of yesterday morning, the average of the Freshman class is much higher than when we resided in the Freshman Dormitories. The Faculty is still offering English A and English D.