The Continuous-Performance College.

COMMENT

Auguste Rodin's beautiful maxim, "Lenteur est beaute," manifestly is not a favorite with our present-day American universities. Just now the watchword with them is "Speed up the courses." To cite an example, in his annual report to the trustees of Boston University, Dr. Murlin, the president of that institution, advocates a general acceleration of the courses--and not only that; but an all-the-year-round session. Under Dr. Murlin's plan, which is devised for the benefit of busy young people who have something else in the world to do besides study, the instruction at a university would resemble the old-fashioned cable system of street cars, in which a great endless cable moved forever beneath the street, upon which the cars caught wherever they could, and ran as long as they wished. Or it might be compared with a continuos performance at a theatre, where the audience arrives and departs at its convenience. The proposition, of course, is not quite so simple as that. Under it, it would not be exactly practicable for the student to begin his study on any day or at any hour he wished, and receive his diploma on the corresponding date precisely four, or three, years afterward. It is rather a plan to afford the right sort of facilities to all sorts and conditions of students, and to accommodate the courses to those whose circumstances do not permit of an easy adherence to the stated and leisurely old-fashioned divisions of the academic year. It is a proposition well worthy of careful consideration. --Boston Transcript.