A Red Cross Message to the Colleges of America.

COMMENT

Any appeal to the men of our colleges and universities to throw their energies into the winning of this war--which we are pledged to wage till "justice and mercy" prevail among the nations of the earth--would savor of the gratuitous. From our colleges and universities have gone forth thousands--thousands of our best, physically and mentally. Our student ranks throughout the country are riddled.

But many--no less eager to go over there than those who have been accepted--have been compelled to stay at home. To these I offer this suggestion: There are forms of service other than that on the battlefield, on the sea or under it or in the air. At this time the most important form of auxiliary service I believe to be co-operation with the American Red Cross. Such co-operation can be effected best through membership; and all those who by reason of sex, age or physical disability, are prevented from going to the front are being urged to join during the Christmas membership campaign starting December 16 and ending Christmas Eve. In that week the Red Cross hopes-- and confidently expects--to get ten million new members--at least.

Here is service that some of those who have been compelled to say behind may have looked upon as of only incidental importance or as solely woman's work. It is neither. The Red Cross is the "army behind the army and the navy behind the navy." It watches over and ministers to our fighting men at all times and in all places. At every point it is the necessary supplement of our Government in the care of our men in active service. Not only this, but it performs a service unattempted by Government--the relief of the suffering of the civilian population.

Vital as these functions are, however, the Christmas membership is being conducted for the purpose of showing the man who is fighting that the men, women and children he is fighting for are solidly, aggressively back of him; that the morale of the folks at home is as high as the morale of the fighter in the field; and that their purpose is as patriotic and their determination as deep as his. Ten million new members of the American Red Cross will not leave a doubting United States fighting man--nor a doubting enemy.

The college student can be a big aid to us in enrolling these new members. He is going home for his Christmas holidays--holidays that in thousands of families mean sadness because of the absence of loved ones in camp or at the front. If he will enter into the spirit of the Red Cross Christmas, if he will give part of his vacation to active service in the Red Cross membership drive, he will find that lie has served his country--and himself--profitably and patriotically. Chairman, War Council, American Red Cross.