ON THE RIGHT ROAD

The Secretary of the National Collegiate Athletic Association has announced that the annual meeting will be held in New York on December 28. At that time the representatives of American colleges will discuss proposed changes in the existing intercollegiate athletic system. Although the association will express its opinion on these changes only be resolution, yet it is voice will have a great effect on the country at large, One thing upon which all colleges and their athletic congressmen are agreed is that athletics in some form should be continued. The number of men who have done better in military service because of their athletics training is such that the position of athletics is no longer debatable. They have proved their value in peace-time and they are doing it every day during this time of war.

On the other hand we are quite ready to admit that the enthusiasm with which the public has taken upon our games has swept us along involuntarily into mistaken ways. The number of errors in the system is probably great, but we cannot wipe them all out at once. Our revolution must be a gradual one if we are to retain athletics on any extensive scale. The National Association, however, has now publicly recognized these faults and it proposes to deal with these at its next session. It will pass resolutions favoring, first, that there be no more pre-season coaching; second, that professional coaching be reduced to the minimum; third, that then number of official and their fees at intercollegiate games be kept as low as possible.

We do no to hold that these resolutions will straightway make college athletics spotless. Far from it. But they will give us a good start on a good road. The fact that the National Association is tending toward the views of this whom we regarded as mere theorists a few years ago would lead us to believe no small changes is coming. The above three changes would not be opposed by the members of teams themselves. Their effect will take away none of the enjoyment or the value of sport. They will simply remove collegiate athletics a little farther from the realms of professionalism toward which they have drifted much too far, Under the new regime we may not turn out soon perfectly-drilled machines, but we shall turn out as physically fit man who, in addition, have a purer love for their chosen sport. And we shall have more of them. Each step from Professionalism toward real amateurism will bring increasing numbers of poorer players out for teams. These are the very men who need the exercise, who need this opportunity for physical development. Their presence on the fields will not detract from the pleasure or efficiency of the first-string men.

It seems sure that the Association will pass these resolutions. We can only congratulate the fathers of the plans on their timely sagacity. National crises can work wonders in most things. The present war seems about to effect a marvellous change in collegiate athletics.