CAPT. BEITH TO SPEAK HERE

VISITING BRITISH AUTHOR WILL LECTURE IN UNION ON FEB. 12.

Captain Ian Hay Beith, British soldier and writer, better known under the penname of Ian Hay as the author of "The First Hundred Thousand," will lecture in the Living Room of the Union on Monday, February 12. In accordance with the purpose of his visit to this country as lecturing representative of England in the present war, Captain Beith will speak on some phase of the struggle from Great Britain's point of view, drawing from his wide experience in the Allied ranks as a member of the Tenth Argyl and Sutherland and Highlanders.

Following his enrolment immediately after the outbreak of the war, Captain Beith served with such ability and courage in the first detachment of England's volunteer army during the spring of 1915 that he was given a commission and soon attained his present rank of captain. In "The First Hundred Thousand," Captain Beith relates some of the most interesting of his personal experiences both in the training camp at Aldershot, when he was a member of the Sutherland Highlanders and at the front during the opening months of the war. His book is unique among the war publications in having been characterized as the account of the typical life of a British soldier at the front, written from a soldier's point of view.

Captain Beith gave a spirited and Interesting talk on "The Human Side of Trench Warfare" in Sanders Theatre on December 11. He has also become widely known to members of the University through his position as official lecturer of the British government at the Allied Bazaar. During his stay in this country he has spoken at many universities and colleges and several preparatory schools, both Yale and Princeton having received a visit from him during his present tour. While in Boston Captain Beith assisted Captain Norman Charles Thwaites, V. C., in the arrangement and supervision of the British military exhibits in the Mechanics Building.

This lecture will be given to the entire University and not just to members of the Union.