AN ALARMING SITUATION

Scarcely any cause can be more successful than its watch-word. The nations at war in Europe all have cries which typify their spirit or their aspirations. In the present crisis, some Harvard men have so far proved unwilling to make the sacrifices their country rightly demands. These laggards have exclaimed, "Can't I get out of it?"

The danger of the spirit represented by this new by-word is a cause for nothing less than national alarm. It is easy enough to follow the band down the street and entrain for the front when the flags are out and the only girl in the world has kissed you goodby. It is easy enough, but it is frightfully ineffective.

It is hard to give up nine hours a week to military training when the snow is on the ground, and the mere possibility of taking the field is as remote as the rulers of the nation are able to make it. It is hard to have to make all the trifling sacrifices which the present plan of training demands, but afternoons at the movies or at the ball park will avail a man but little when his company is facing maxims and barbed wire.

Never was a plea for action made more seriously than now. Between today and Saturday night, Harvard men have their final opportunity to enroll in the R. O. T. C. Will the men who seem to put pleasure before duty still valiantly cry, "Can't I get out of it?"