UNDER THE FLAG OF FRANCE

Today another large group of men from Harvard and other universities sail for France. There they will undertake the service of humanity in that generous spirit which is the pride of our young men. We see in them the fulfillment of those high ideals which are the salvation of our civilsation.

It is to be noted that they are sailing on a French ship. There are no American liners now on the Atlantic. If Germany should do as she says she will do, and that liner is sunk, will any of the false sophistries with which some men have blinded themselves suffice us then? Will we say, remembering those young men as our friends and our compatriots, that Germany was "justified"? Will we say that the laws of war or the laws of existence permit the sacrifice of the citizens of neutral nations?

The men who are going out to take up this work have a difficult task. Under the most trying conditions they must remain prompt, cheerful and devoted to a work which demands as much patience as it does actual courage.

Harvard men have done well so far, and Harvard looks to the new ambulanciers to "carry on." We wish them good luck and Godspeed!