AMERICA'S EFFORTS APPRECIATED

Ian Hay has shown his unusual capacity for observing and analyzing the traits, tendencies and distinguishing peculiarities of Americans and Englishmen in his recent article "Getting Together," in the Outlook. A question frequently asked, he states, is "Why can't you people in England be a bit kinder in your attitude toward us here in America?" In replying, the author invents a dialogue between an American and an Englishman. The Briton extenuates his attitude on the hypothesis that "he that is not for us is against us," and since America has withheld an official endorsement of the Allied cause, the influence is unfavorable.

At this juncture the author's cordial appreciation of America's economic and medical support and incidentally the University's contribution is revealed. Through the words of the American in the dialogue the Briton is reminded that besides our industrial support and Red Cross service, there are 25,000 Americans actually fighting for the Entente. Special emphasis is placed upon the work of the American Red Cross.

"Have you ever heard of the Harvard Unit, for instance?" inquires the American.

"Vaguely; tell me about it," the Briton rejoins.

"Well, I mention the Harvard Unit because it was about the first, but others are doing nobly, too. Let Harvard serve as a sample. At the outbreak of the war Harvard put down $10,000 to equip and staff the American Ambulance Hospital in Paris. Then, in June, 1915, Harvard took over one of your British base hospitals with thirty-two surgeons and seventy-five nurses. That hospital has been maintained by Harvard folk ever since; they go out and serve for three months at a time. Harvard also sent an expedition to fight typhus in Serbia. Harvard's casualty list in consequence has grown pretty long. Not a bad record for one neutral university, eh? I don't seem to remember your Oxford or Cambridge sending out a medical unit to help us when we were fighting for a moral issue, back in the 'sixties, under Lincoln."

Although the struggle of the 'sixties when one nation was divided against itself is hardly analagous to the present situation. Ian Hay, as a representative of the British nation, warmly praised the humanitarian efforts of the nation as a whole and the University in particular, We appreciate his expression of gratitude but we must remember that this is not a time to rest upon our laurels.