PATROL SQUADRON ORGANIZED

Summer Manoeuvers Planned In Connection with Naval Reserve.

Continuing a plan initiated last year a patrol squadron, consisting of privately owned power boats of high speed armed with light guns of various calibre has been established in the Second Naval District for purposes of patroling and defence against submarines in time of war. The personnel of the boats is composed of such volunteers as may, because of nautical or wireless experience, be accepted as qualified for service.

In time of peace the active work of the squadron consists of a summer cruise, of a minimum length of three weeks, generally to be held in conjunction with the Naval Training Cruise. The members are all liable to call at any time and in time of war the entire department will be placed in Class 4 of the Naval Coast Defence Reserve, composed of "citizens of the United States who are capable of performing special useful service in the Navy, or in connection with the Navy in defence of the coast."

Those men contemplating making application for enrolment would find it advantageous to take the B and C courses of the Naval drill course now being given at the Charlestown Navy Yard. Application blanks and further information may be obtained at 40 Clavenly Hall.