NEW SURGICAL UNIT SAILS TODAY

Dr. Hugh Cabot '94 Characterizes Purpose and Spirit of Group.

The new contingent of the Harvard Surgical Unit under Dr. Hugh Cabot '94 sail from New York today on the Andania. This group will continue the work of the Medical School graduates in France, releasing a number of the present members of the unit and increasing it from 25 surgeons, its strength during the winter, to 32 surgeons, its full strength. Most of the doctors will serve for a year, but Dr. Cabot, Dr. Shattuck and Dr. Busby, together with some of the present members of the unit, have volunteered their services until the end of the war.

Dr. Cabot, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday afternoon said:

I want you men at Harvard to feel that we are going because we are white men. It is our duty as humans to help care for the wounded and dying over there; we are not going on any international joy ride. Those of us who have been among the people of the countries at war know that Harvard has done more than any other American university to help relieve the suffering in this war, and we must maintain that record.

The following graduates of the Medical School, together with about 20 nurses for the unit, comprise the group sailing today: Hugh Cabot '94, George C. Shattuck '01, Don J. Knowlton '08, Francis B. Grinnell '09, Fabyan Packard '12, Peter P. Chase, M.D. '10; Ernest G. Crabtree, M.D. '12; E. Stanley Bridges, M.D. '15; Leonard M. Van Stone, M.D. '15; George Watt, M.D. '16; Harry W. Woodward, M.D. '16; Eldon D. Busby, M.D. '17; Thomas D. Cunningham, M.D. '17, and Edward S. Welles, M.D. '17.