Information as to Aerial Reserve.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Because in these times military preparedness is holding an important position in our minds, you may permit me to outline to the undergraduate body through your columns what to me seems to be their privileges and responsibilities in aerial preparedness.

This country has probably less than 50 aviators in its army and less than 100 aviators within its borders immediately available for military work. At the ourbreak of the European war England, France, Russia and Germany each had some 500 aviators. Present estimates would indicate that there are now some 40,000 fighting abroad, and that this number is being increased daily. Aeroplanes have become almost as important to the modern army and navy as guns.

Not every man can be made into an aviator--youth, physique, clear and quick thinking, and the character that makes good officers are essential. Aviation is not a vocation for men who think slowly and who "hesitate when in doubt." but rather for those who think quickly and lay stress on "when on thin ice skate fast." The country must look to its university undergraduates for the personnel on which to draw for its aerial defence.

I have been in touch with those at Washington in charge of the "Officers' Aerial Reserve" during the past few months and will be glad to explain to those interested how they can join this branch of our military reserve. ROGER AMORY '10.