PROSPECTS FOR GOLFERS BRIGHT

Hubbell, Canan and Amory Form Basis for Powerful Aggregation.

The prospects for a successful golf team in the spring are unusually good, for three of the six men who won that insignia last year are eligible again this year. They are Captain L. H. Canan '17 F. I. Amory '17 and J. W. Hubbell '17. In the intercollegiate golf tournament at Pittsburg, Pa., last fall, J. W. Hubbell '17 defeated D. C. Cockran of Princeton is the finals one up, thus winning the individual championship and a major "H". The University's two teams in the finals of the tournament, L. H. Canan '17 and F. L. Amory '17, and J. I. Wylde '17 and L. M. Lombard '17, were defeated by Princeton by 5 and 3 and 6 and 5, respectively.

The 1919 team is sending up some good material to the University squad. W. A. Flagg, Jr., '19, captain of the Freshman team and its best player, defeated L. M. Lombard '17 in the finals of the University Golf Championship by the score of 8 and 6 in a 36-hole contest. N. Wainwright '19, another promising player on the 1919 team, is lost to the University squad this spring since he has gone to France to drive an ambulance. All the material on the Freshman team was good, as is shown by the fact that five of them, qualified for the University Championship Tournament.

The provisional schedule for the golf team includes seven matches of which five will be played away from Cambridge. May 4 is the date scheduled for the first match, while a contest with the Rhode Island State team on June 2 will conclude the schedule. Williams, Princeton, Cornell, Yale, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island State are among the University opponents.