PHYSICAL EDUCATION TO BE GIVEN IN SUMMER SCHOOL

Exercises to be Conducted in Hemenway and Sargent Gymnasiums by Dr. D. A. Sargent.

The announcement of summer courses in physical education for 1917 has just appeared. Though these courses are designed especially for instructors engaged in teaching through the winter and to supplement courses given during the school year, they are open to all students and to others seeking personal improvement either by exercise or in learning how to look after their physical welfare.

The exercises are conducted at the Hemenway Gymnasium on the adjoining grounds, in the lecture halls on the University, and at the Sargent Gymnasium, under the direction of Dr. D. A. Sargent.

The session will begin on Monday, July 2, and end on Thursday, August 8. Students will have the usual privileges of members of the Summer School of Arts and Sciences, including the opportunity of living in the Freshman Dormitories.

A special feature of the summer school this year will be a course for directors of playgrounds, including the philosophy of play, the purposes of the playground, organization and equipment, administration, gymnastics, dances and various kinds of games.

The regular work of the course is divided into theory and practice. The former branch includes anatomy, physiology, hygiene, physical examinations, philosophy of exercise, and preventive medicine. The practical branch includes calisthenics, light and heavy gymnastics, Swedish gymnastics, and gymnastic and athletic games.

The course is divided in such a way as to provide for four years of work, and the training is adapted to meet the requirements of both men and women.