NEW GUIDE WILL BE PUBLISHED

Memorial Society Now Working on Book Describing University.

The fifth edition of the "Official Guide to Harvard University" is almost ready for the press and will probably go on sale within a month. This book is now published once every ten years by the University and is edited by the Memorial Society. The object of this Society, which was founded in 1895, is "to foster among students interest in the historical associations of Harvard and to perpetuate the traditions of her past," and to it has been committed the preparation of the Guides. The first edition was prepared and published for the meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Cambridge in 1898. It was edited by Dean Hurlbut, then Recording Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Another edition was issued in 1899 and for the first time it was edited by the Memorial Society. The third edition appeared in 1903 and the last edition in 1907.

The 1917 edition will be larger and more fully illustrated than ever before. It will contain many pictures which have never before been published and in all cases where those in the 1907 edition are now out of date, more recent ones will be substituted. The accounts of the history and development of the different departments and activities of the University have been fully revised and brought up to the present time by the men in charge of them.

This will be the first edition in which pictures and descriptions of the Widener Library, the Freshman Dormitories, the new Germanic Museum, the president's house, and the Larz Anderson Bridge have appeared.

The work of preparing the new Guide has been supervised and directed by the president of the Memorial Society, William Coolidge Lane '81, the librarian of the University.