CALL FOR MANAGERS

The lack of interest in the track team has been bewailed. At present the graduate committee are fully awake to the disheartening condition and are carefully investigating the reasons for the existing apathy. Much is needed before track at Harvard can be put on a firm, successful basis. Undoubtedly the two committees now at work will establish a real system for directing in a business like way the activities of the track team. The best of systems is merely a skeleton and must be supplemented with good administrators and eager workers. Today the yearly competition for the managers begins. Without good directors, men who are alive to the needs of every individual on the squad and have at heart the success and reputation of the team, any active interest on the part of undergraduates cannot be expected. If a mediocre runner in his Freshman year is noticed, looked after, and encouraged by the managers, the chances are good that he will prove a point-winner in his Senior year. Countless letter men have been lost at the very beginnings of their careers because they were given to believe that nobody cared whether the reported for daily practice or not.

Last spring only four men entered the track competition. Football managers during the first weeks usually outnumber the players. Yet track is a major sport. Such a showing is simply ridiculous, and should shame the undergraduates in College. The track competition does. Track as a sport is popular and important both in the college world and outside. Today's call is the first for undergraduate support. Certainly the shame of last year ought to be wiped out by a greatly increased number of candidates reporting at 1.30.