87 CANDIDATES REPORTED FOR SPRING TRACK WORK

ADDITIONAL MEN NEEDED

At the first practice for the spring season of the University and Freshman track teams yesterday, 62 men reported for the running, while 25 came out for the field events. Of those that are out, 28 are long distance and 30 short distance runners. To date only four hurdlers have reported. In the field events 15 are out for the weights, and only three or four for each of the jumping events.

With the Yale dual meet less than eight weeks off, and the need of developing a strong, well-balanced team if the Elis are not to be winners again this year, a large number of additional candidates for both field and running events is expected out tomorrow. Especially are men needed for the pole vault and the high and broad jumps.

Practice yesterday consisted of a short jog for the runners and a light workout for the weight and pole vault men. There will be no broad jumping until the ground softens up; last night the high jumpers practised in the Gymnasium. Until the frost gets out of the ground, the cinder track will not be used, and the runners will work on the track around the outside of the Stadium.

W. M. Rand '09, chairman of the Graduate Advisory Track Committee, will talk to all hurdlers at the Varsity Club tomorrow night at 7 o'clock. Any man who ever has been or aspires to be a hurdler has here an excellent opportunity to learn something about training for and running the hurdles. Mr. Rand was captain of the University track team in 1909.