A NEGLIGIBLE SAVING

A recent communication in our columns urges that the 1920 Red Book should be abandoned, saying that such a heavy expenditure for selfish purposes is unjustifiable in the face of the pressing needs of European nations. Aside from the obviously high motives of our correspondents, it is difficult to see the practical value of their suggestion since its application would only keep a little extra spending money in the pockets of each Freshman, without adding in any way to the resources of the relief committees abroad.

Furthermore, the Red Book forms an essential, inseparable part of the life of a class, the foundation upon which its unity is built. Through extensive canvassing and the gathering of records and individual histories, each Red Book candidate broadens his circle of acquaintances throughout the class, and by congenial competition forms genuine and lasting friendships among his fellow-candidates. The whole tendency is towards solidarity and mutual respect among the various elements in the class.

To destroy such an institution, even in these days of extreme international stress, is inadvisable unless the benefits to be gained are clear and unmistakable. In the present case we can see none. Let the reformers of 1920 organize a class fund for Serbian or Belgian relief, for they could do nothing finer, but the sacrifice of such a major class institution as the Red Book seems unnecessary.