THE OUTSIDE LECTURER

While it is proverbially difficult to enlist the interest of the undergraduate members of the University in anything that is called a lecture or a course of lectures which lie outside the curriculum, it is easy to draw audiences for well-known men who are fitted to speak on subjects of general interest. Such a speaker and such a subject are contained in the series of talks being given by Dr. A. T. Davison '06 on "The History and Development of Choral Music" in Huntington Hall, Boston. The public has already realized the opportunity of hearing one of the best choir masters of the country speak on his own subject. So large has been the demand for seats that Dr. Davison will repeat each of the seven lectures which will cover the entire development of choral music from the earliest church music down to the modern French and Russian composers of the twentieth century. Examples of the songs of the various periods and countries will be given by well-trained choruses from the New England Conservatory, Appleton Choir, and the Radcliffe Choral Society. The purpose of these lectures is in every way "popular." To those who know little or nothing of the history of musical development and of the composers of music, as well as to the trained musician, what Dr. Davison has to say will be of exceptional interest.