VITALITY SHOWN BY CONCERT

E. B. HILL '94 PRAISES ORIGINAL WORK BY MUSICAL CLUB MEMBERS.

The tenth annual concert of the Musical Club in John Knowles Paine Hall demonstrated afresh the vitality of the Club in its ability to provide an interesting and well diversified program, including original compositions all performed by its members. The most ambitious work and one which abundantly justified its performance was a sonata for viola and piano by D. N. Tweedy, Jr., 1G. This sonata, excellently laid out for its respective instruments, showed clear and logical structure, with solicut themes capable of varied treatment, of excellent emotional contents, alike dignified brilliant and expressive. Mr. Coolidge and Mr. Tweedy gave an authoritative and clean-cut performance with many striking interpretative features.

Mr. McKinley's group of piano pieces showed distinct ability in realizing a meditative and poetic atmosphere full of harmonic charm, and his Autumn Rain was especially to be commended for its technical ingenuity and its imaginative mood.

Mr. E. N. Leonard '20 was to have given a group of violin pieces, but illness compelled his withdrawal at the last moment. His numbers were, however, ably filled at short notice by Mr. H. E. Hinners '19 and Mr. W. R. McAllaster '17 who played three movements of Debussy's captivating "Little Suite" for four hands with a commendable understanding of the composer's piquant ideas.

Mr. F. R. Hancock '12, who is remembered for his past contribution to the programs of the Musical Club, again showed his admirable gifts as a singer in a group of songs, two of which were by Mr. H. G. Bennett '17 and Mr. H. E. Hinners '19. These latter showed a commendable lyric impulse and a realization of mood that was far from commonplace. The concert closed with a spirited performance of three Hungarian Dances by Brahms, arranged for two pianos and played by Messrs. McAllaster, Potter, Hinners and McKinley.

Throughout the performances highly creditable standards were displayed as to technique and interpretation, and the Club is to be congratulated for its able re-affirmation of the genuine musical gifts to be found within the University