HARTE'S HOME RUN FIRST OF SEASON FOR BALL TEAM

Second Outdoor Practice Gave Team A Easy Victory Over Team B in Loose Game.

The University baseball squad had its second outdoor practice of the season Saturday afternoon, Team A easily defeating Team B by a score of 15 to 2, in a loosely played game. The contest was played on the Freshman diamond, as a new wire backstop is being erected on the University field. Errors were frequent for both sides, McLeod in particular having an off day in the field, with three misplays marked against him. Team B failed to press the regulars as they have in the practice games in the cage, their weak batting being especially noticeable. Only three hits were secured from Garritt, Loring and Dingwell, who pitched for Team A. heavy hitting was the order for the first team, however, Captain Abbot, Bond and Harte each having a good day at the bat. Harte's home run was the first one of the year and with a double also secured by him, gave evidence that he has not lost his batting eye. Abbot also hit in his last season's form, driving out a double and three singles, and Bond, substituting for Boyd in left field, had a double and two singles to his credit.

Team A started the scoring in the first inning, tallying five runs, and had another big inning in the fifth when Casey scored on Abbot's double, and Harte drove in Ellis and Abbot with his circuit drive. Kerr was the star for the substitutes, with a pretty double, six putouts and two assists to his credit, but made one misplay in the field, J. Knowles '18, left fielder on last year's nine, did not report for practice, as he is intending to leave College shortly to join the United States Aviation Corps at Newport News.