ADVICE FROM GENERAL WOOD

Major-General Leonard Wood's advice to the students of Princeton in the present period of suspense and uncertainty has an equal value for the members of the University. At a mass meeting of all Princeton undergraduates last Sunday, held for the purpose of urging students to remain at Princeton and join the military units there rather than leave college and become scattered in various volunteer organizations throughout the country General Wood was not able to be present, but wrote a letter to President Hibben stating his views.

"By all means advise the men at Princeton to stay where they are," said General Wood, "follow their college work and push the military instruction to the limit under Captain Heintzelman. The situation has not developed to the extent which in any way justifies their leaving college or trying to volunteer at the present time. I will let you know when in my opinion it is time for further action." Acting on this idea of keeping the undergraduates together, President Hibben stated that if war should come military training would take precedence over all academic work. At the same time efforts were made, in accordance with General Wood's advice, to increase the size of the officers' training at Princeton.

This advice is also sound in its application to the undergraduates of the University. The R. O. T. C. should take precedence over other outside military training corps, not alone because of its obvious advantages but because it is the official Harvard organization and by enlisting in it the undergraduate does not separate himself from the academic side of the University until it is absolutely necessary. We may rely on General Wood to tell us when that time has come.