SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT

Many questions of national character allow discussion by Congressmen and citizens according to the dictates of party sentiment. Republicans may argue against Democrats for the continuance of a high protective tariff and justify themselves on the ground that they are upholding party principles. The serious questions before our country today should provoke intelligent discussion on an entirely opposite basis. The intense feeling of political antagonism that was rampant last fall ought to be non-existent now, when instead of the magnified aims of a particular faction being in the balance, the cherished honor and rights of the whole nation are at stake. Political affiliations and party differences should be forgotten, and every Democrat, Republican, Socialist and Prohibitionist should regard themselves as members of one organization, the American Party, whose single aim is the honorable performance of this country's grave responsibilities.

According to many straw votes and public expressions of opinion the majority of men in the University voted against the present administration last November. During the past few months this same majority has criticized the re-elected President upon his slow manner of solving our international difficulties. Whether his methods have been right or wrong can only be properly judged by the next generation. We cannot help realizing that the obstacles in his path have been unprecedented in size and seriousness. The time has come for this majority to forget their preferences of last year and show themselves as whole-hearted supporters of the nation's leader.

For two years the petty desires of our Congressmen for personal gain and political success have blocked all efforts by the few leaders of international vision to partially prepare this country against the dangers that are now so imminent. This very minute when the granting of power to the President is the only means by which this country can fulfill the recognized functions of a respected country, a few Senators are still consciously swayed by party influence and forget the nation. Let them serve as an example to the majority in the University. The present crisis demands a leader. The country has elected a leader. The one great American Party issues the call to all citizens. May the University respond as one man and support the President.