UNIVERSITY SHOULD HAVE POWERFUL BASEBALL TEAM

SIX VETERANS RETURN

Provided Coach Duffy is able to find a man to fill the position at first base left vacant by the graduation of H. L. Nash '16, the University nine may well look forward to another successful season on the diamond. Although the loss of E. W. Mahan '16, one of the best pitchers in collegiate baseball last year, will be greatly felt, Coach Duffy has two letter men in W. G. Garritt, Jr., '17 and C. L. Harrison '18 around whom he should be able to build a strong pitching staff. Harrison was especially effective last year, winning from Yale in the game at Cambridge, allowing the Yale batters but four hits and will probably head the list of boxmen this year. The staff will be strengthened further by W. B. Felton '19 and F. L. Leighton '19, who were on their Freshman team, and are already proving efficient in the early battery practice.

In the catching department the University has undoubtedly the best backstop in intercollegiate ranks in R. Harte '17. Harte played a great game for his Freshman team, his stickwork being especially noteworthy. He has led the University batters for the last two years, besides playing a remarkably sure game behind the plate. Coach Duffy has little to worry about with Harte playing, and his only duty in the catching department is to develop a capable substitute. C. F. Fuller '19, regular catcher on his Freshman team, is the most promising of the other backstops that have reported for practice, although J. B. Cumings '19 has had considerable experience behind the plate.

Nash's Absence Leaves Gap.

The team is fortunate in having three members of the last year's infield in College. Little need be said of the ability of Captain G. E. Abbot '17 as a player and a leader, and he forms, with J. T. Beal '17 and H. S. Bothfeld '17, the foundation of a fast and heady infield. The latter two men, however, will be forced to work hard to retain their old positions, as J. H. Enwright '19 is now in good standing with the Office, and will make a great bid for an infield position as he is a heavy hitter although apt to slip up occasionally in his fielding. C. S. Reed '17 will continue his last year's contest with Bothfeld over the shortstop position, with little to choose between the two men. The big gap in the infield is at first base, left vacant by the graduation of former Captain H. L. Nash '16, and Coach Duffy and Captain Abbot will have some difficulty in finding a suitable man to take his place.

Two Regulars Left in Outfield.

The condition in the outfield is much the same as it is in the infield in that one regular has been lost. By the graduation of F. P. Coolidge '16 the team lost a fast fielder and a hard hitter and it will not be easy to fill his place. G. A. Percy '18, who broke up more than one game last year by his timely extra-base hits, and J. Knowles '18, regulars on last year's team, can fill any position in the outfield. E. L. Casey '19, captain of last year's Freshman team, and C. Wyche '18, who was out with injuries last season, are the most promising of the new candidates for the outfield positions. Casey is a brilliant fielder, hits well and is remarkably fast on the bases. Wyche is also a heady player, and will probably be used often. The race for positions in the outfield will be close, as there are a number of good men from whom to choose