WAITERS TURNED SOLDIERS

Many feel that they are making great sacrifices in their efforts to become officers either in the army or the navy. While such are giving a fraction of their leisure time to study and drill, the waiters at Memorial and the Freshman Dining Halls, who have formed a company, are voluntarily giving a far greater proportion of their free hours to similar instruction. The existence of this company is a splendid and inspiring tribute to a class whose interests are usually considered to be narrow and self-centered. Every now and then some little incident in this busy world carries more significance than just ordinary events because of a peculiar combination of circumstances. Harvard should feel proud of being the only college that has a military unit organized and officered solely by Negroes. Although the majority of the waiters are from the West Indies and not yet citizens of this country, they have realized their duty and are doing their utmost to fulfill it. Their example might well be followed by all other hyphenated Americans.