BADGES OF MERIT

The School of Architecture of the University has received public acknowledgement of the high quality both of its teaching staff and of the work of its students in the recent award of the Boston Society of Architects of the eight medals that were offered in the annual prize contest for drawings submitted by the three architectural schools in Boston. Harvard won seven. This showing is particularly creditable, since the School of Architecture has to compete with other schools which are considerably larger and more heavily endowed, such as the Architectural School of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which has the support and backing of one of the best technical institutions in the country. Yet not only did the Harvard school, which is working under much greater difficulties, win seven of the eight awards, but the general quality of the drawings it submitted were much superior to those of either of the other competing institutions.

The Harvard Architectural School has always deserved the encouragement and support of the University. Its work has been carried on under considerable difficulties; it has never been widely known and it has not had a large number of students. Now that the excellence of its work is proved, there should no longer be any reluctance on the part of members of the University who are seeking training in architecture to take that training here rather than in other less perfected though better known institutions. The School of Architecture has received the high commendation it so richly deserved.