SEVEN ARCHITECTURAL MEDALS WON BY UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

Garden Gateway Drawings Judged Best In Competition Held Under Boston Society.

Of the eight medals that were awarded by the Boston Society of Architects for excellence in the drawings submitted for their annual prizes offered to students of the University, M. I. T., and the Boston Architectural Club, the University won seven. In all, 73 drawings were submitted, the number being about equally divided between the students of the three institutions. The subject in competition was a gateway such as would be appropriate for the entrance to a botanical garden from a lagoon much used by the public for boating purposes.

Under the provisions of the contest, two additional prizes, one to special and one to regular students, were to be awarded to both Harvard and M. I. T., and one prize to the Boston Architectural Club. The value of each prize was $50. Carl Peter Teigen 2SA, of Minneapolis, Minn., was awarded the prize for regular students, and Duncan McLachlan, Jr., 1SA, of Brooklyn, N. Y., the prize for special students in the University. Robert Henry Scannell, M. I. T. 1917, of Cambridge, and William Colleary, M. I. T. 1917, of Boston, won the prizes offered to the Tech. exhibits; and Silvio Zannetti, of Boston, won the prize for the Architectural Club.

The showing of the University School of Architecture in this prize competition was highly creditable. Not only did their drawings win seven out of the eight awards made, but the general quality of them was much superior to those submitted by the other institutions. The exhibit of these drawings in Rogers Hall, Boylston street, Boston, will be open to the public during the remainder of the week.