YALE TO CONSTRUCT SPECIAL CAMPUS FOR FRESHMAN CLASS

FACULTY OF COLUMBIA PROBING QUESTION OF PATRIOTISM AMONG STUDENTS.--PRINCETON BASEBALL CANDIDATES OUT IN LARGE NUMBERS.

Yale is rapidly perfecting plans which call for a large addition to the campus in order to create a special freshman campus on the square bounded by High, Elm, York and Library streets. On this great quadrangle, dormitories will be built with accommodations sufficient to take care of freshman classes for many years to come. It is proposed to make these buildings the most modern and best constructed in any American university plant. It is understood that the tenants of the buildings which must be torn down have been notified that their leases will not be renewed after June, 1917. The doomed structures include the dormitory known as Pierson Hall on York street; the D. K. E. Clubhouse, the historic old gymnasium, the university power plant, the psychological laboratory and library, the offices of the Yale Department of Health and many private residences. The only building on the block which it is planned to retain is the Peabody Museum and even this may not be left for long by the university officials.

Fraternity Reorganization at New Haven.

A faculty committee has been appointed to consider ways and means for bringing about the reform in the fraternities at New Haven. This problem has been brought to a head by the present charges against some of Sheffield Scientific School fraternities of improper campaigning for new members. Many prominent members of the faculty are on the committee of investigation. It includes Professors P. F. Smith, J. W. Roe, C. T. Bishop, C. F. Schreiber and Registrar Vreeland. A prize of $50 has been offered by the Aurelian Society for the best solution of the problem. It is expected that any new scheme which may be adopted for governing the conduct of the fraternities will be upon the honor basis.

Columbia Holding Auto-Analysis.

The trustees of Columbia University have recently taken an action of very large academic significance in appointing a special committee "to inquire and ascertain whether doctrines which are subversive of, or tend to, the violation or disregard of the Constitution or laws of the United States, or of the state of New York, or which tend to encourage a spirit of disloyalty to the Government of the United States, or the principles upon which it is founded, are taught or disseminated by officers of the university." This committee, which is to consist of five members, including the president, will inquire generally into the state of teaching at the university. This action by the trustees is probably aimed at certain antimilitaristic utterances by several Columbia professors.

At the meeting of the trustees a resolution was passed approving and confirming the action of the president in organizing the whole of Columbia University for national service and in pledging the loyal support of the university to the United States Government in the cause of national defence.

Columbia Athletes for Preparedness.

The baseball squad of Columbia University is following the precedent set by the big league professional baseball clubs in the South, military training and drilling being adopted yesterday by the squad as a part of the daily practice. After a recent conference between Coach Andy J. Coakley and Graduate Manager Harry A. Fisher, the management of Columbia's nine decided to devote a part of the practice period of three hours each afternoon in the indoor gymnasium cage.

The squad of candidates is now divided into two sections. Between 3.45 and 4.15 daily, when one division has finished practice and the other group is about to begin, a half hour's drill will be held.

Although a competent drill sergeant will probably be in charge of the instruction for the first few days, it is planned to have the drilling later under the directions of the students who are preparing for the officers' reserve corps. At a meeting held on Monday, Major Cochran a member of Governor Whitman's staff assembled all Columbia students who have had military training in the National Guard, at a Plattsburg camp, or at West Point. Drilling began Monday afternoon, when a squad of 25 such men started a course of training which will fit them to lead a battalion of students.

Several members from the squad of embryonic officers will probably lead the daily drill of the baseball players. This qualified group contains many of Columbia's prominent athletes. Included in it are Captain R. R. O'Laughlin, of the university crew, James Cleveland, water polo captain and football veteran, and R. W. Lahey, of the crew.

Tigers Lack Pitchers.

Princeton is facing a great problem in the development of the baseball team. There is not one dependable boxman and the Tigers are greatly feeling the loss of Link, who pitched his team to two consecutive victories over Yale last year. Because of this, Tibbott, the foot ball star, who has heretofore played in the outfield, is now being converted into a pitcher. He has a smooth, strong delivery and with the necessary development should prove a formidable addition to the pitching staff. Among the other candidates for this position, Chaplin, a university mound-man of two seasons ago, is showing up well; Rutherford and Matlock, of the second team, and Parmele and Savage, of the freshman team may prove their worth later on.

A record number of candidates responded to Coach Clarke's call for candidates and daily practices in batting pitching and infield work are being held in the indoor cage. Aside from the pitchers, Coach Clarke has a good field to pick from and he will probably be able to make up for the loss of six university men by graduation last spring, as there are an unusually good lot coming up from the freshman and second teams of last season.

Captain Driggs is expected to do the greater part of the work behind the bat this season. Although Driggs played at shortstop last spring, his natural position is catcher and judging from the past his performances this season should be of high order. Other men who have so far shown themselves to be of university calibre are: Scully at first base Madden and Weigand at second, Bauhaun at short, Howett and Bade at third, and Lee, Rankin, Hammond, Cory, Grey and Sidler for the outfield positions.

1918 Wrestling Tourney in New Haven

At a meeting of the New England Wrestling Association it was decided to hold next year's intercollegiate event at Yale. T. Penney, next year's manager of the Yale team, was elected president of the Association and manager of the meet, succeeding F. B. Todd '18, who will be secretary-treasurer of the Association during the coming year.

This year's meet, which was the second annual event of its kind, was successful financially and otherwise. The Association is endeavoring to make the intercollegiate event the feature of the college wrestling season; and, judging by the increasing interest of the various teams, their plan will be successful.