1200 DRILLING AT MICHIGAN

RESERVE UNIT AWAITING OFFICIAL RECOGNITION BY WAR DEPARTMENT.

In an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday, Dr. R. S. Tucker '11, instructor of Economics in the University of Michigan, who is here on a vacation, told of Michigan's preparation for war. About two weeks ago a vote was taken as to whether there should be compulsory training for all students or only for Freshmen and Sophomores, and resulted overwhelmingly in favor of the former, 3,600 to 600. Despite this fact that Regents refused to authorize compulsory training. Up to a month ago there were only 100 men drilling, but now there are over 1,200. The drilling, however, is informal and there are no regular hours. The Regents have recently authorized a unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps under General Order 49. All that is now wanting is arrangements for instructors, etc., by the War Department. It is hoped that Washington will take all necessary action for the establishment of the unit soon. It will be modelled on the Harvard plan and a much larger number are expected to enter it than are drilling now.

Michigan has also two divisions of the Naval Reserve. One is officered by the faculty and another consists entirely of engineers. One hundred and fifty men are drilling now in preparation for service. The Naval Reserves of all the Western colleges will be given actual experience on the Great Lakes. A boat for this purpose has been established near Chicago.

The engineering department has formed an aviation class, and men are being instructed in this branch of the service. The work is more on the lines of construction and planning than actual flying. It is hoped that a great many men will be turned out who are ready to help in the actual construction of machines. Men for this are badly needed, so Michigan is trying to serve in the best possible way.

The older members of the faculty have formed a Home Guard and Rifle Club; the younger are in the R. O. T. C. A notable fact about the enthusiasm of Michigan is that about 150 men have given up the vacation that is now going on and are drilling four hours a day under a regular army officer.

Michigan has not featured the other departments of service as yet. No one is thinking of a quartermaster's corps there, and all the religious work is being left to the Y. M. C. A. However, the Michigan Union has issued a general questionnaire to all Michigan men asking them to state what things they can do best and urging them to enter that branch of the service for which they are best fitted. The Regents have voted that all departments of the University shall be devoted to the Government service in whatever from that service may be desired.