ATHLETICS TO BE GIVEN UP

Army and Navy Will Continue Sports But Sentiment Among Colleges Opposed to such Polloy.

In the face of the present national crisis intercollegiate athletics have been abandoned by many colleges in all parts of the country. Definite and final announcements have been made that the contests and races of seasons past will be given up so that those who compete in these events may devote themselves to military training.

Columbia was one of the first universities to make the final decision. Among the important events cancelled by this action was the annual Poughkeepsie regatta which was called off after a telegraphic vote by the Intercollegiate Rowing Association. Invitations had been issued to Princeton, Syracuse, California and Wisconsin to compete with the charter members of the association. Columbia, Cornell and Pennsylvania; but the members of the Columbia crew were all enrolled in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps at that university.

The abandonment of Yale athletics was automatic through the recent action of the athletic committee, which provided that if a war resolution were adopted prior to April 7, all athletic contests should cease on that date. Likewise, at a recent meeting in New York City of the representatives of various colleges at the invitation of the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton and Cornell made it known that their athletic activities were at an end.

Michigan, St. Louis University and other institutions in the Middle and Far West, have followed the same course, and all the athletic events scheduled by the universities of the Pacific Coast have been declared off, through the action of Congress and the President.

Army and Navy to Finish Schedules.

On the other hand, scattered colleges throughout the country have made known their intentions of continuing their programs. West Point and Annapolis will carry out their schedules in spite of the early graduation of the senior class, made necessary by the declaration of war. The men in the lower classes of these institutions are not allowed to leave them to take part in military service, and consequently athletic competition will be encouraged. The authorities at Pennsylvania have decided that participation in intercollegiate sports will not be abandoned there.

No action has been taken as yet by the Brown athletic board, but there is a growing sentiment at that college that athletics should not be entirely given up. The board will make its stand known tomorrow. Regardless of its decision, the track and baseball coaches are to be retained and opportunity given to those students who desire to go on with a certain amount of outdoor sport.