THE CLOTHING COLLECTION

One of the most perplexing problems of war times is the maintenance of the institutions of peace essential in the healthy life of a nation. Social service particularly is apt to suffer in the rush of military preparations, with the unfortunate result that slum life rapidly grows more and more miserable in the great cities.

The experience of Canada was typical. During the opening months of the war all settlement houses were converted into relief work stations for the army, but at the end of six months they were advised that they could serve their nation far better by returning to their former work and helping in the solution of the wretched social conditions at home.

The University stands in the same position today. While the wave of preparedness is sweeping through our ranks, Phillips Brooks House is doing its best under great difficulties to maintain its work. At this moment the annual spring clothing collection is under way.

Only one more day remains to make the collection a success. So far the response has not been encouraging. If we in America are to meet our social problem, to help the working people tide over the hard years ahead, we must be ready to help them. With many of their wage-earners at the front, they will find it difficult to buy clothes for next winter. One of the aims of the spring collection is to meet this need.

If each undergraduate will ransack his closet for old clothes, old magazines and text-books, and give them to the collector, then we will at least show that we have learned from Canada's experience.