THE EYES OF THE ARMY

In outlining the main features of modern warfare, Captain Ian Hay Beith emphasized the new significance of the airplane. It has passed out of its period of experimentation and into a new sphere of deadly effectiveness--spying out the enemy's territory, directing artillery fire, raiding hostile encampments, and making surprise attacks impossible. Briefly, "the command of the air determines which side shall gain the victory."

Of late there has been an unfortunate attitude towards aviation in the University, an attitude which appears more and more ridiculous in the light of Captain Beith's remarks. The tendency has been to smile at the men who left for Miami and Newport News as sportsmen off for a good time, attracted by the danger and the thrills of airplaning, and not by any practical value it might have in war-fare. Now it appears that the success of the army will depend upon these so called "adventurers."

More men are needed of this same cool, level-headed type. More training camps and more machines must be supplied. Our part is to supply men in such numbers that the slow wheels of a democratic government will be set in motion and the necessary equipment furnished. We must not fail to do our share in securing a powerful aviation corps if we hope to develop an army which will be effective on the battlefields of Europe.