UNIVERSITY PRESS LISTS FORTY NEW PUBLICATIONS

Prominent Faculty Members Conspicuous As Authors of Books to be Announced Today.

Forty new books contained in the 1917 spring publication list of the University Press which will be issued today. These volumes deal with a great range of subjects including history and political science, economics, social science, education, law, classics, English, comparative literature, fine arts, architecture, chemistry, engineering, forestry, medicine, physics, philosophy, theology, and religion. Among the most notable authors on the list are Dean Edwin F. Gay, of the Graduate School of Business Administration; Professor Charles Dourier Hazen, of Columbia University; William Roscoe Thayer '81, a member of the Board of Overseers; Robert Howard Lord '06, Assistant Professor of History; Professor Archibald Cary Coolidge '87, of the History Department; M. A. de Wolfe Howe '87, editor of the Alumni Bulletin; Professor R. M. Johnston, of the History Department; A. W. Shaw, lecturer in the Business School and editor of System; Kuno Francke, who has jut resigned his post as Professor of German Culture; Professor Thomas Nixon Carver, of the Economics Department; Professor Frank William Taussig '79, Chairman of the Federal Tariff Commission; and George Chandler Whipple, Gordon McKay Professor of Sanitary Engineering.

Among the recently published books are four of a series by Elihu Root, edited by Robert Bacon '80 and James Brown Scott '90. The first of these, "Papers and Addresses by Elihu Root," includes state papers written in performance of his duties as Secretary of War, his instructions as Secretary of State to the American delegates to the Second Hague Peace Conference, and certain of his more important diplomatic notes. The second, "Addresses on International Subjects," deals with various question which have in recent years concerned the American public. They include the treaties with Japan, Panama and Russia.

"Three Peace Congresses of the 19th Century, and Claimants to Constantinople," by Professor C. D. Hazen of Columbia, W. R. Thayer '81, member of the Board of Overseers, Professor R. H. Lord '06, and Professor A. C. Coolidge '87, is a group of essays written at the request of the program committee of the American Historical Association, and they were presented at the annual meeting of the Association in the closing days of 1916.

Mark Antony de Wolfe Howe '87, editor of the Alumni Bulletin, has a book on "The Harvard Volunteers in Europe: Personal Records of Experience." First-hand information concerning the present European war is preserved in these extracts from diaries, journals, and letters. The collection covers work in the trenches, in Serbia, with the ambulance corps, hospital units, the distributing service, the Foreign Legion, and the aviation corps. The names of more than 400 University men enlisted in the conflict are given as an appendix.

"Harvard Health Talks" is a series of volumes giving the substance of lectures given in the Medical School from time to time. It aims to present in a popular form the most modern and authoritative information on medical subjects of universal importance. Its editors are Edward Hickling Bradford '69, Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, emeritus, and Dean of the Medical School; Harold Clarence Ernst '76, and Walter Bradford Cannon '96, professors in the Medical School.

There are several very interesting books on religion and theology just published. "The Religious Thought of the Greeks from Homer to the Triumph of Christianity" takes up the history of Greek religious ideas. The book, by Clifford Herschel Moore '89, Professor of Latin, deals primarily with the genetic development of the higher phases of religion, and discusses also ancient morality, Roman religion, Oriental cults, and early Christianity. Shailer Matthews, Professor of Historical and Comparative Theology and Dean of the Divinity School in the University of Chicago, and William Belden Noble Lecturer at the University for 1916, has a book on "The Spiritual Interpretation of History." The author seeks in these lectures to determine from actual events whether history has not in itself spiritual forces which may result in "a renewed allegiance to our threatened idealism and a revived confidence in the might of right." "The Religious History of New England" is by J. Winthrop Platner, Andover Professor of Ecclesiastical History; George E. Horr, president of the Newton Theological Institution; George Hodges, Dean of the Episcopal Theological School; William Wallace Fenn '84, Dean of the Faculty of Divinity; William E. Huntington, Dean of the School of Theology in Boston University; Rufus Matthew Jones, Professor of Philosophy in Haverford College; John Coleman Adams, D.D., and William L. Worcester, president of the New Church Theological School. They contain the King's Chapel lectures given in Boston in 1915 and 1916, and offer a sympathetic description of the contributions of eight large Protestant denominations to the religious life and thought of New England.

Of especial note is the publication of a new series, "Harvard Theological Studies." Under the general direction of the Faculty of Divinity it is planned to publish at frequent intervals books in this series, in which will appear contributions to knowledge and thought in all departments of theology by members of the University Faculty and other scholars. The numbers will constitute a uniform series, but will vary in number of pages from small pamphlets to considerable volumes