WANT MORE AMBULANCE MEN

POSITIONS BOTH IN AMERICAN AND NORTON-HARJES UNITS ARE OPEN.

New enlistments for service with the American Ambulance in France may be made at the office in Grays 17 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, from 12 to 1, starting today. In the absence of W. H. Wheeler, Jr., 18, P. Tison '18 will be in charge of the work of recruiting men from the University. Outside of office hours he may be found at Hampden 17 afternoons and evenings.

Additional increments for the service in France will be sent at intervals throughout the spring. For the present at least as many men as volunteer can be used. The service offers to those members of the University who are too young to qualify for commissions an excellent opportunity to be of great and immediate value to the cause.

The American Ambulance now has 570 cars and over 500 men in service in Europe. Since the beginning of the war, 900 men have been with the Corps in one capacity or another, four of whom have been killed. Richard Hall, of Dartmouth, and William Kelley, of Philadelphia, met their death from shell-fire; Henry M. Suckley '10 was killed by an airplane bomb, and H. Sortwell '11 was crushed beneath a truck at Salonika. Over 400,000 wounded men have been carried by the American ambulances during the last three years, and at present the service is costing $80,000 a month.

The international importance of the work of the American Ambulance is recognized not only here, but in Europe.

The French Government as a tribute of their appreciation have 20 times cited sections and section-leaders for distinguished service, and have conferred upon more than 80 of the men the Croix de Guerre for bravery, and upon two the Medaille Militaire, the highest honor for military valor in France.

Although the desired number of 80 men for the two new Norton-Harjes sections has not yet been fully obtained, the work of outfitting these two new sections is progressing satisfactorily, owing to the generosity of Robert Walton Goelet '02, who recently offered to finance the new units. Not enough men have enlisted so far for the ambulance driving, however, and members of the University are given an excellent chance to volunteer for this work and sail at once for France. The first 30 men will sail within a week, but these are only a part of the 80 needed, if the sections are to take the field at an early date.

Eliot Norton '85 has charge of the recruiting for the Norton-Harjes in this country. C. Higginson, Jr., '17, the agent of the service at the University, has left College and the work of recruiting new volunteers has been turned over to R. S. Wortley '19, Randolph 62. He will be there to give any information to men desiring to drive ambulances in France every day between 3.30 and 4.30 o'clock and in the evening after 7 o'clock except on Wednesdays