PRESIDENT ADVOCATES PATIENCE AT PRESENT TIME

War produces in brave men an eagerness to be of immediate service. This is natural; it is good; but there is something better. The soldier's task requires patience in matters of which he cannot see the direct utility. Most undergraduates want to help the country in the coming conflict; but the Government itself has not yet formed in detail its plans for raising an army, or at least has not made them public, and the student is still more in the dark about the opportunities that will be open to him. Until he knows more he will do well to practice the first virtue of the soldier, the patient pursuit, with all his might, of the course indicated to him. If in the training corps let him stick to it, learn self-control, and not permit nervous excitement to distract him from his other work. When the proper moment comes, and not before, he will be asked to give his whole time to military preparation. Those who are not in the training corps will be wise to wait until they can discern the path of their greatest usefulness. That will not take very long; and it is far better to choose aright than to choose quickly. A. LAWRENCE LOWELL.