SENATE PASSED DECLARATION OF WAR---HOUSE WILL ACT BEFORE NOON TODAY

NO ORGANIZED FILIBUSTER

In one of the most famous sessions of its history the United States Senate passed last night the Flood Resolution, amended by the Committee on Foreign Relations to read as follows:

Whereas, the Imperial German Government has committed repeated acts of war against the Government and the people of the United States of America; therefore be it.

Resolved, By the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, that the state of war between the United States and the Imperial German Government, which has thus been thrust upon the United States, is hereby formally declared; and that the President be, and he is hereby, authorized and directed to employ the entire naval and military forces of the United States and the resources of the Government to carry on war against the Imperial German Government; and to bring the conflict to a successful termination all of the resources of the country are hereby pledged by the Congress of the United States.

The vote stood 82 for and 6 against the declaration. Those who opposed the measure were Senators Robert M. La Follette, of Wisconsin; Asle J. Gronna, of North Dakota; Harry Lane, of Oregon; George W. Norris, of Nebraska; William J. Stone, of Missouri; and James K. Vardamann, of Mississippi.

Shortly after the Senate convened yesterday morning at 10 o'clock, the resolution was brought forward and the discussion began. During the afternoon there were some speeches in opposition, notably those of Senators Stone, Vardamann, and Norris. Senator Lodge, of Massachusetts, supported the action of the President in a stirring address, during the course of which he urged universal training and the seizure of German ships in our harbors. No attempt at a filibuster was made until Senator La Follette took the floor at about 7 o'clock. His speech, however, lasted for only three hours, and at 11 o'clock the measure was carried.

The House adjourned earlier in the day without voting on the war question in order not to anticipate the action of the Senate. It will convene at 10 o'clock this morning, and it is expected that it will pass the Flood Resolution before noon.