ATHLETICS CALLED OFF

OPPONENTS INFORMED

By L. B. R. briggs

At a quarter past three this morning, less than 15 minutes after the passage of the war resolution by the House, Dean Briggs, acting with the power intrusted to him on March 26 by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, issued the accompanying statement calling off all formal athletics at the University. The Dean has recently conferred with Professor Conwin of Yale and Dean McClenahan, of Princeton, who were acting in a similar capacity for their respective universities, and a joint decision to abolish intercollegiate athletics when war should be declared was reached. It is understood that they have already taken action on the matter. Mr. Fred W. Moore '93, the graduate treasurer of athletics, is this morning attending a meeting of delegates from Cornell, Columbia, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, and Yale, held in New York City at the Hotel Martinique, where the entire sport problem will be settled.

The following letter is to be sent today to each of the opponents of the University affected by Dean Briggs' announcement:

"Under present conditions it is almost or quite impossible to carry out schedules of games planned in times of peace. Our teams are broken up; the interest of our athletes is rightly transferred to other things than athletics; and there is here, as elsewhere, a general feeling that formal and important intercollegiate contests would be out of place at such a time as this. It is with great regret that we cancel our games. I have little doubt that your experience and your wishes are much like ours.

"Hoping that our teams may meet when the war is over, and that the interval will not be long, I am sincerely yours,

For the Harvard Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports."

DEAN BRIGGS' STATEMENT

"Because of the declaration of war the Harvard Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports has decided to give up all formal Intercollegiate contests until further notice." L. B. R. BRIGGS '75,   Chairman.