FENCERS TAKE SECOND PLACE IN INTERCOLLEGIATE MEET

Team and Individual Championships Won by Navy.--Captain Russell Not in Form.

The University fencing team secured second place in the finals of the Intercollegiate Fencing Championship held at the Hotel Astor in New York City Saturday afternoon and evening. First place was won by the United States Naval Academy, with 27 bouts won and nine lost. The University team finished a close second, as its final score was 26 victories and only 10 defeats. Third, fourth and fifth places were won by Columbia, Yale and Pennsylvania respectively.

The individual championship in the tourney was won by T. P. Jeter, captain of the Navy team, who finished the meet with only one reverse. E. R. Gay '19, whose fencing throughout was of a high order, was the only contestant who succeeded in defeating him.

Captain W. H. Russell '18 was not up to his usual form, losing three matches on Friday, but showed much improvement the following day, when he defeated the Yale captain, Pflieger. He tied with Gay and Allison of Columbia, the only man to defeat all the University fencers, for third place, with nine bouts won and three lost. R. G. Crimmins defeated Pflieger and had a final record of eight victories and four defeats. The standing of the teams was as follows: Won  Lost Navy,  27  9 Harvard,  26  10 Columbia,  18  18 Yale,  16  20 Penn.,  3  33