19 STUDENTS IN SIGNAL CORPS

TWO GROUPS OF CLASSES HELD IN CRUFT LABORATORY EVENINGS.

With the swearing in yesterday of 19 members of the University for service in the Enlisted Signal Reserve Corps, work on the organization of a University company in the Signal Corps was begun. The men accepted were first given a rigid physical examination and then took an oath to serve the country in this branch of the service, the enrolment being for a term of four years, but in time of peace only a nominal amount of training a year will be necessary.

Captain C. E. Russell, who will have charge of the work at the University, is making plans for the formation of a company composed of members of the University, and when 40 men are enlisted the company will be organized. A regular company in the Signal Corps is composed of 77 men, 30 of whom are noncommissioned officers.

Two Sections Held.

Two sections are being held under the supervision of Captain Russell and five instructors at Cruft Laboratory, one group of classes coming on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, and the other on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights. It is planned to hold one review for men entering these classes late, and all such men should report immediately if they wish to enroll in one of the two sections. The course is open to all men who intend to make national use of their services, the classes starting at 7 o'clock and consisting of radio work and also practice with "blinker" lights.

When the new company is completed and equipped it will go to camp probably somewhere in this state for more intensive work. Men who desire to take their physical examination are to apply for an appointment at the meeting of the class Monday. The men who were accepted yesterday were among the first to enroll in this new branch of the Signal Corps and to R. E. Neal '19 falls the honor of being the first man in the country to be accepted for the Enlisted Signal Reserve Corps. The other members of the University who were accepted yesterday are: H. J. Bascom '19, H. W. Boal '18, S. D. Dodge '20, W. A. Duerr '20, H. W. Evans '18, J. M. French '17, R. H. Hammond '19, C. P. Harris '20, T. H. Harris '18, H. A. Howson uL, H. T. Lawrence '19, G. W. Mathews '20, W. C. Morgan '17, F. C. Southworth '20, G. P. Stevens '18, J. R. Todd '20, E. S. Young '20, and H. E. Young ocC.