TRAINING CORPS WORK BROADENED BY SKIRMISH

SECTION MEETINGS START

With close order drill mastered to a certain extent the Reserve Officers' Training Corps of the University has for the last few days turned its time to extended order movements and combat exercises. In the first two battalions this work has comprised skirmish drills and sham engagements between troops, under the supervision of the French officers, while in the provisional battalion the men are being trained in the elementary evolutions of the open order, and also in the principles of fire control and the management of the rifle.

New Officers Took Charge.

The recently appointed officers of the provisional battalion took charge of their companies yesterday. For a time they will be assisted by the Army sergeants detailed for the instruction of these companies, but eventually they will have complete control of these men under them.

Major deReviers gave a lecture to the Corps yesterday evening on the planning and construction of trenches. After a short introductory address by Major de Reviers, Mr. Frederic Schenk '09 delivered the translation of the lecture, assisted by comments and suggestions from the other Frenchmen. With the aid of diagrams the method of constructing the usual shelter trench was described, and instructions were given in the manner of erecting barbed wire entanglements and other obstructions. Bomb proofs, deep dugouts and other shelters were treated in detail, and the Corps was instructed in the art of their construction.

Communication Trenches Described.

Following up the discussion of the front line trenches, the communication and second and support lines were described, and the necessity for their strong fortification emphasized. Plans of a typical section of front were shown, and the various salients, machine gun and automatic rifle positions, and the relative position of the three lines of trenches with their necessary defences were described in detail.

Section meetings for the entire regiment will start next week. Lists of the meeting places of the various groups will be posted later and the work to be taken up by the men in the meetings announced.

Members of the Corps who intend to take their final examinations in June are to file a list of the courses in which they are to be examined with the Recorder at once.