ATHLETICS STILL CONTINUE AT OTHER UNIVERSITIES

Sport Programs Have Not Been So Completely Abandoned by Many Colleges.

Although all intercollegiate athletics have been suspended at the University, and for the time being no other form of competitive athletics have taken their place, other universities and colleges have not so completely cancelled their sports. At the universities where all intercollegiate contests have been cancelled, regimental and other forms of athletic games have sprung up, and the regular university teams have wound up their season with the election of next year's captain. At several others, intercollegiate sports appear to be taking their natural course, although the teams have been somewhat depleted by the entrance of the undergraduates into military service.

At Yale, as at the University, all intercollegiate athletics have been given up, spot for sport's sake becoming more evident. The baseball team, after winning five straight victories, wound up its season with the election of R. F. Snell, 1918, regular second baseman on last year's team, as captain for next year. Intramural contests have been started however, and the first game between the college and Sheffield was played Saturday. With the election of J. D. Nagel, 1918, a pole-vaulter, as next year's track captain, the official season of the track team was brought to a close, but track athletics are still being participated in by the undergraduates.

Eli Boathouse for Naval Reserve.

An opportunity is also given men to row each day, but the boathouse will probably be opened soon as a training school for Naval Coast Defence Reserve men. At certain hours each day the gymnasium is reserved for members of the R. O. T. C., and competent instruction in swimming, as well as in exercises that tend to develop agility and general efficiency are given.

With the declaration of war, intercollegiate athletics ceased also at Princeton. Five men were entered in the Pennsylvania relay carnival, but no relay team was sent. J. H. Barrett, 1918, has been elected captain of next year's track team. A scrub baseball team has been organized and games with nearby teams are being played and the other athletic equipment of the university is at the disposal of the students, over 200 of whom have dropped all their studies and gone into intensive training.

Regimental athletics are on the program at Dartmouth, with a series of baseball games well under way. At Cornell also intercollegiate athletics have been dropped and military training is a part of the daily routine of the under graduate.

Other universities, however, have been backward in canceling their intercollegiate athletics, and while they have been making extensive military preparations have also continued their regular athletic activities.