R. O. T. C. WILL START INTENSIVE WORK MAY 7

ENLISTMENTS CLOSE MAY 5

Captain Cordier, commandant of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, returned yesterday afternoon from Washington, where he has been engaged in work for the Harvard unit for more than two weeks. After a conference with President Lowell yesterday evening the following joint statement was given out:

"The Reserve Officers' Training Corps is to be continued at Harvard University during the summer months, and all members enrolled therein will devote their entire time to military instruction commencing May 7, 1917. Until the closing of the University, June 23, 1917, students will occupy such quarters as they are now using, or may see fit to use. Immediately following the closing of the University the Corps will be quartered in specified dormitories and barracks. All members of the Corps will then be required to live in these barracks.

"New enrolments in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps will be permitted to remain therein irrespective of their age. New enrolments will be limited as follows:

(a) Students in Harvard University, or in any other New England university or college at any age above 19.

(b) Graduates of Colleges, and other of adequate qualifications, not over 35 years of age, that being the limit for a commission as first lieutenant.

(c) Provision is being made for the subsistence of those Harvard students who could not otherwise afford to enter or remain in the Corps.

(d) All applications for enrolment should be addressed to the aid for assignments, Warren House, Cambridge, Mass."

President Lowell made a further statement as follows:

"All new men accepted for enrolment in Military Science and Tactics will be registered as students in Harvard University during the continuance of the course and shall be subject to the rules and regulations of the University during the continuance of the course and shall be subject to the rules and regula- tions of the University during that period."

In an interview with a CRIMSON reporter last night, Captain Cordier said that although the Government would not furnish subsistence for the Corps, it would later supply complete equipment. He also stated that all the officers now at the University would remain here throughout the summer, and added that "the training at Harvard will be practically the same as at Plattsburg and the other training camps, and in my opinion all those who complete the training at Harvard will be eligible for commissions as soon as they reach the age fixed, which at present is 21. Many thousand officers will be needed for the large armies to be raised, and Harvard men will have an excellent opportunity through the combined instruction of the French and American officers to receive the highest order of training."

The enlistments have been extended until the end of this week in order to allow those men to enlist who have been kept back by the indefinite information available up to this time.