STATISTICS SHOW THAT 403 HELD COMMISSIONS

In Civil War Greater Number of Harvard Men in the Union Forces Were Officers.

In view of the present work of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps the CRIMSON has compiled statistics of the positions in the Union Army held by graduates or undergraduates of the College during the Civil War. It is interesting to note that the proportion of officers to noncommissioned men was more than three to one.

The figures shown were collected from the pamphlet printed at the close of the war and published on Commencement Day, July 21, 1865, entitled "A Roll of Students of Harvard College Who Have Served in the Army or Navy During the War of the Rebellion." The rank which a man held at the end of the war was taken in compiling the list; consequently the average standing is much higher than it would have been if the lists had been compiled on the basis of the rank held at the time of enlistment. As the roll included only students of the College proper, whether graduated or not, a large number of the students of the various professional schools attached to the College who served in the army and navy have been omitted.

The statistics are as follows:

There was only one fatality among the navy men from the College. In the army, the death rate appeared highest among second lieutenants. Hazard Stevens '64, with the rank of brevet brigadier-general, held the highest position among those who were undergraduates at the outbreak of the war.   Army. RANK  FATALITIES Privates,  91  13 Corporals,  4  0 Sergeants,  8  3 2d Lieutenants,  25  10 1st Lieutenants,  81  18 Brevet Captains,  2  0 Captains,  103  13 Brevet Majors,  6  0 Majors,  27  3 Brevet Lieut.-Col.,  1  0 Lieut.-Cols.,  18  4 Brevet Colonels,  3  0 Colonels,  26  7 Brevet Brig.-Gens.,  6  0 Brig.-Gens.,  8  3 Brevet Maj.-Gens.,  6  0 Staff Officers,  5  0 Surgeons,  50  3 Chaplains,  10  0   --  -- Total,  470  77

Navy. Rear Admiral,  1 Commander,  1 Lieutenant Commander,  2 Paymaster,  18 Surgeon,  14 Mate,  2 Engineer,  1 Seaman,  1   -- Total,  40