5,000 IN GREAT SCOUT RALLY

REPRESENTATIVES OF 42 CITIES REVIEWED IN STADIUM SATURDAY.

The Stadium was the scene of the third annual rally of the Boy Scouts of Greater Boston Saturday afternoon when over 5,000 scouts, representing 11 districts and 42 cities and towns took part in a series of events ranging from wall-scaling to lighting a fire without matches. Fully 20,000 parents and friends of the scouts were present in the big amphitheatre to witness the exhibition which showed the unusual efficiency of the boys in first aid, woodcraft, and self-reliance.

The exercises opened promptly at 2 o'clock with a review of the scouts, who filed around the Stadium and before the reviewing stand where the officers of the local councils sat. The colors were then raised, the pledge of allegiance given and after the audience and the scouts sang "America" the field events began.

Then in various parts of the field, signal towers built of light branches, which served as the framework for the human pyramids, sprang up. The fire lighting without matches then followed and in just 17 seconds there came to the representative of a Newton troop a reward in the form of a thin curl of smoke and the dry tinder burst into flame.

Chinese Boys Won Signalling.

The semaphoring signaling contest was won by two Chinese boys, members of a troop of Chinese scouts in the first district, who repeated their victory of last year in this event. Some of the other demonstrations and competitions in the field day events included building a fire and boiling water, pyramid building for signaling purposes, making camps, and a bugle and drum corps review. The exercises closed with the lowering of the colors, "The Star Spangled Banner," and "retreat," sounded on the bugle.

The regiment band of the R. O. T. C. furnished most of the music for the scouts, who also contributed, however, with a bugle and drum band of 160 scouts, which provided one of the features of the afternoon as it paraded around the Stadium, stopping before the reviewing stand, where the "to the colors" was sounded.