BACK FROM THE FRONT.

Contrary to the sybilline warnings of hopeful pessimists, the First Battalion returned from the firing line with no casualties. In so far as the top sergeants could check up, the companies were in possession of the normal number of ears and digits, manual and pedal. In spite of their being armed--perhaps because of it--with rifles which the instructors graphically said were made to shoot around corners, the men made decently presentable scores. If the targets had been a regiment of Prussians, it is to be presumed that such shooting would have been at least sufficient to knock the spikes from their helmets.

The volleying crash of rapid fire and the reiterated drumming of the machine gun instilled in those men who had not yet acquired it the knowledge that war is not altogether a matter of files on parade. Not a great deal of battle thrill was given to any save men with a perfervid imagination; but the work of drill took on a new meaning, and the men began to see the reason of trenches in warfare.

The Second Battalion leaves today to assume the First's cots, tents and rifle ranges. It is to be presumed that it will shoot with equal accuracy, consume its allotted rations with equal relish, and call out the corporal of the guard when on sentry duty with equal zeal.