RUMOR AND THE REGIMENT

The two statements printed in this morning's CRIMSON, one from the College office and the other from Captain Cordier, are comforting evidence in refutation of Dame Rumor, that busy-body who has had the University Reserve Corps on a rapid run out of existence. Harvard regrets exceedingly that the able army officers detailed in Cambridge are to be ordered elsewhere by the War Department, for these men must be accorded the great measure of honor due to the success of the corps. But this honor is only increased when it is remembered that the corps is not going to die simply because those who are now at its head are to leave. The influence of Captains Cordier, Bowen, and Shannon is a permanent one. They go with the best of military ideas instilled into their successors and the men who have worked under them. A schedule of training is to be followed which can do nothing but assure to every man a completely satisfactory training. The departure of these regular army officers must bring home to every mind the fact that there is a singular shortage of such men in the United States. And with this the corollary that an enormous number must soon be found or made, if our country is to put her utmost into this war, and we earnestly believe she is. Where are our officers coming from? Secretary Baker who surely ought to be in a place to know answers this query plainly in his letter to President Lowell. They are coming from just such groups of men as that which has been training here for many months. The finishing touches which a regular training will put on them is bound to produce the kind of officer our country is looking for. Harvard has the French Officers, an almost perfect organization and a large body of serious, willing workers--three elements essential to the task which those who fostered the University regiment sought to do. It will take something decidedly more powerful than mere rumor to destroy all the good which has been brought about by the University corps.