AZAN PROMOTED TO COLONEL

COMMANDANT OF FRENCH MISSION TO UNIVERSITY SECURED NEW RANK.

P. J. L. Azan, Commandant of the French Military Mission at the University, has been promoted to the rank of Colonel by the French War Department. Although the promotion was made some time ago, Colonel Azan was not informed of this fact until just before the dinner given for Captain Cordier at the Harvard Club of Boston on last Wednesday evening.

Colonel Azan was born in 1874 and received his military education at St. Cyr. In the second Algerian campaign he was a second lieutenant of Zouaves. He has served in the general headquarters of the Ministry of war, and on historical missions in Germany and Spain in 1905 and 1906. From 1906 to 1909 he was in Morocco as captain under Generals Liautey and d'Amade.

At the beginning of the war Colonel Azan was at the headquarters of General Joffre. At his own request he was sent to the fighting line, as commander of a company of the 153d Regiment. He has also been Major of the 69th and attached to the headquarters of the Sixth Army. He has received the Croix de Guerre, is an officer of the Legion of Honor, has been "cited" three times and wounded three times.