MORE ENDURING THAN WAR

It is the lot of men to be bound within their own personalities, however much they may desire to be cosmic in vision. And so these men who are going into imminent conflict are all too likely to deem that the whole world is swallowed in war both now and for the future.

But this war is not the end of the world, which has seen many dark tumults unshaken, and passed through the rise and death of principalities and empires. Nor is it the end and consummation of individual lives. It is a sad necessity which has come on us to be fulfilled; but it can never be the goal of our ambitions, nor can we narrow our vision by refusing to look beyond.

The training which Harvard gives has never been primarily the soldiers training, save as all education trains for service and sacrifice. It has been a liberal broadening of mind which should make Harvard men leaders of peace, of science, and culture. That Harvard men should, when confronted with the cold fact of war be able to turn from those careers which they had planned to the new and urgent service is a tribute to the general abilities which they have attained. It is not a tribute to any unusually fierce or bellicose qualities of mind.

The highest type of warrior is not the highest type of man. In taking up the sword for a just cause no man who is true to his education is taking it up joyously or with love of the work he has to do. He is undertaking a work which must be finished, which must be quickly and well finished that it be forever finished. In so doing he will fight all the more bravely and wisely.

Beyond this war lies peace, when those of Harvard-sons who have passed through the struggle will take up with new hope the work of construction for which they have been trained. In that later time they will gain the fullest rewards of their training; not in this barbaric time, when the most martial nation has exalted its heroes to be almost gods.

Remember this, you men who have been nurtured here: Wars come and go, and men come and go, but Harvard, which has nourished men in her high ideals, and those other great universities which keep in trust our culture, will not perish till our civilization perishes. To that far time we need not look.